Thursday, January 6, 2011

Doug Veum, Knox County Democratic Party Board of Governors

I endorse Chip Forrester to continue as the State Tennessee Democratic
Party Chair. I am a member of the Knox County Democratic Party Board
of Governors and spent many hours this fall knocking on doors and
making phone calls for the campaigns of Mike Dockery, Randy Walker and
Sam Alexander.

The State Party officers provided us with exactly the kind of support
we needed to effectively organize and implement the canvas methods
that will make possible the election of Democrats again to the county
offices as well as to the State Legislature. I am concerned that any
change in leadership will result in a change in focus away from the
ground level support that Chip and his staff have provided over the
past two years and which I believe to be the most important role for
the state party to be doing. I have never had support for this kind
of activity from the Democratic Party since I worked precincts in Cook
County Illinois in the 70’s. Chip Forrester has figured out how to
build a strong base of precinct support for the Democratic Party but
that effort is only beginning. To change the focus of the State Party
at this point makes no sense to me from the perspective of a precinct
worker. I don’t hear a commitment to that focus from any of the other
candidates.

I also committed to joining the Finance Committee for 2011. I am
holding my commitment until I know the results of Saturday’s election.
When Chip is elected I will go forward with the commitment to join
the Finance Committee. Should you elect another chair I will wait to
implement my commitment until I see tangible evidence that a different
chair is committed in time, resources and leadership to building a
state wide organization that provides leadership and resources for a
broad and deep voter canvas and who will spend his/her time helping
County Democratic Party Officers recruiting, training, motivating, and
supporting them with the voter canvas. Force me to keep my commitment
by electing Chip on Saturday.

I know I can count on my 5th District representatives on the Executive
Committee, Sylvia and Harold Woods, to make the right choice here. I
plead with Gayle Alley and Bill Owen to make that same choice for Knox
County and urge the other 62 of you to also vote for Chip so that he
can continue with the party building he has started so effectively in
the past two years. .

By the way, I am 68 years old and am interested in the under 40
involvement in the party. My suggestion to the younger generation is
to make sure that your first involvement in politics includes actually
voting and if you want to work in the Democratic Party as leaders to
then vote exclusively in the Democratic Party Primary as well. I am
only going to be doing the canvas for a couple more election cycles.
However, I am concerned that the generations behind me are not taking
the responsibility to vote in each election seriously and I am also
concerned with those who wish to lead the party to be supporting
people for office through contributions and votes who are not
Democrats. The other party does not need us to either stay at home or
vote in their primary or for their candidates to receive votes from
those who aspire to leadership in this party.

No comments:

Post a Comment